Thursday, July 12, 2007

Resurfacing

I'm back, the cases are unpacked, the second load is in the laundry, and the house is a complete disaster and I'm buried in e-mails, but I thought I'd take a moment to upload a shot or two while I run backups.

Remember this?
laurel-back

Which looked like this when it was spun?
spin5-laurel1b

And how we were wondering what it would look like when it was knitted? Well, here's the answer:
swallowtail3

This isn't the best shot (the color is a bit faded), and I'm posting it just so you can see how the colors striped across the fabric. I'll upload better shots of the shawl itself on my own blog, but this is the thing I thought you'd find interesting---if only because *I* did. :-)

Remember that when I drafted the roving, I decided that I should break it up into color chunks if I wanted to preserve any of the color. It made sense to create strips which were predominately red, predominately yellow, or pure green. In other words, when I stripped the roving, I made a point of NOT getting pure yellow or pure red; there was always a bit of green in every strip. That gave me different hues of green rather than different colors, and I think that really worked out nicely. Now that I understand how it handles, I won't be afraid to do the same with other multicolor rovings where the colors run lengthwise in the fiber. I think that overall green tone kept the lace from disappearing in color shifts.

The one really critical thing I've learned by knitting this shawl is that I really do like a firmly-plied yarn, so I need to focus on getting things even during the ply. If I don't do that, then the singles separate a bit here and there. The second thing I discovered was that knitting hides a multitude of spinning sins. :-)

On other fronts, this is what was in the suitcases. (It's amazing how much fiber you can cram into a suitcase or so---even when you're packing it around a carder, books and a couple of training DVDs, four extra bobbins, a jumbo flyer and two of those bobbins, replacement parts for the wheel, and PVC for a niddy noddy.) I couldn't quite fit everything; there's superwash, dye, and raw fleece in a box making its slow way across the Atlantic. Do you reckon that this will keep me busy for a bit? ;-)

haul1

Wanda, the shaft to the new spindle was safely tucked in a PVC pipe---complete with caps---and put in my backpack. Airport security didn't even blink. :-) And have I told you yet that it's beautiful? Or that even my non-spinning family that it was a truly cool gizmo? :-)

And on a last note . . . . WOW! You guys have been busy over the past month! I'm soooo impressed!

7 comments:

cyndy said...

Welcome back Rhonna! You have been pretty busy too, and from the looks of what was in the suitcases..you have lots more planned! The shawl looks lovely!

anna said...

That shawl is AMAZING! I've got some roving that I'm spinning in a similar fashion. I don't think it'll be thin enough to be laceweight, but I hope it knits up as pretty as your stuff!

Artis-Anne said...

That shawl looks gorgeous Rhona and MY what goodies you have :)

Rhonna said...

Anna, I really liked the Swallowtail pattern, and one of the advantages to it is that it's really designed as a *small* shawl. Go up a size in yarn and it gets bigger. And I'm betting your own yarn will be beautiful. :-)

Thanks, Cyndy and Artis-Anne. And yes--I have my year's worth of fiber. ;-)

Julie said...

That turned out just beautifully! Love the shawl.

Fiberjoy said...

PVC pipe with caps - what a great idea!

The shawl is simply stunning! Your method of separating the colors worked very well. Makes me wish I'd done that for my merino project but I've already spun 4 oz and am well on my way.

Beth S. said...

Oh my goodness! What a beautiful shawl--and handspun, too! I'm really impressed, especially at the careful way you handled the colors. I'll be off to read the whole story on your blog...